Hardware and DIY Electronics
Here you'll find information of all the components we have developed and hardware products that goes into our controllers. Development and improvements of existing or new controllers sometimes happens quite fast and we can't guarantee that everything is up to date - but we do our best!
Introduction to all the main components that you'll find inside a SKAARHOJ device. These tutorials are a simple shopping list and a recipe on how to bake your very own controller.
- Introduction to Wiki/GitHub
- Introduction to the global Bill of Materials (BOM)
- Introduction to PCBs and BI8 Boards
- How to create the Arduino Breakout Board
- How to Solder the BI8 Board
- Assembling of a C201
- Components and Features Disabled on PCBs
For creating your very own enclosure the following tutorials will give a great insight in the parameters you can change, for achieving exactly what you're looking for.
- Creating Enclosures - Spreadsheet and Front Panel Design + top plate
- Creating Enclosures - Front/back side and bottom + housing profiles
- Creating Enclosures - Sides
- Changing Labels on Buttons
Great tutorials on how to make diagnostics on a single component or a fully assembled controller.
- Diagnostics of BI8 Boards
- Diagnostics of Slider Boards
- Diagnostics of Encoder Boards
- Diagnostics of Display and Menu
- Diagnostics of SmartSwitch Boards
- Diagnostics of 2x8GPIO Shields
- Integrated System Test
Hardware Design Project
Here is a list of hardware components that typically goes into assemblies with other components to form a larger unit:
- SKAARHOJ BI8 boards - Up to 8 backlit push buttons (red/green LEDs), dimmable (PWM), controlled with I2C bus.
- SKAARHOJ 2x8 GPIO board - A General Purpose I/O board with electrically separated 8 inputs and 8 outputs.
- SKAARHOJ ATEM GPI & Tally Breakout Board - A breakout board for Blackmagic Design GPI & Tally Interface.
- SKAARHOJ Broadcast Button Shield - an Arduino shield for 1 to 4 LP11 push buttons, with PWM and code library.
- SKAARHOJ Slider board - A basic PCB for a linear slider
- SKAARHOJ Encoder board - A basic PCB for two rotary encoders with push functionality
- SKAARHOJ Arduino Breakout Shield - Breakout shield for cable connection of C50 and C100 modules to an Arduino
Other Hardware Products
- Arduino boards - recommended Arduino gear
- LP11 push buttons - broadcast style push buttons from e-switch.
- Serial Enabled 2x16 display - easily controlled displays from Sparkfun
Composite Design Projects
These projects are assemblies of various stand-alone hardware components into a unit that serves a specific purpose:
- SKAARHOJ C50 Control Module
- SKAARHOJ C100 Control Module
- Touchscreen for Arduino/ATEM
- Touchscreen Modding of a BMD SmartView Duo
Enclosures and Online Cutting service
If you know about cool enclosures, please list them here:
- 1U Rack Plastic Enclosure
- Hammond make a huge range of enclosures, they are tent to be a bit DIY looking though
- Chinese electronics enclosure manufacturer - also make injection moulded plastic cases (fake pelicases!)
If you know about places to get aluminium and other metals cut online, please list them here:
- Seeed Studio laser cutting (EPS files)
- Panel Print - Cutting and neat enclosures based on a modular extruded aluminium design
- Protocase - online custom enclosure manufacturer - custom CAD designer with built in pricing tool
- Schaeffer AG, Berlin
Start-up Design Projects
These projects are ideas under development. Join it in the early phase!